Personal Reading Profile



Bibliophile: (noun) a person who collects, or has a great love of books.

Personal Reading Profile


I have loved reading all my life. The first word I recall reading is cat. I enjoy reading for the sake of reading. I use it for gathering information, engaging in immersive experiences in fiction, and delving into  non-fiction topics and histories with biographies, large sweeping histories and detailed specific topics of history. I also enjoy reading cultural commentary, feminist theory, intellectually challenging scholarly work, literary fiction, trashy time travel romance, good time travel, science fiction (not hard), speculative science fiction, some fantasy, newspapers (present day and vintage), Twitter, just about anything. But because my leisure time is limited, when I devote energy to a book, it has to be exactly the reading experience I’m seeking.

My reading tastes are somewhat eclectic. To create my personal reading profile, I began by writing down some of my favorite books. (Warning, the list is very long!) “Favorites” does not always mean I remember every word or incident in a book, or loved everything about it and would read it over and over again on a desert island. It means that it stayed with me, in some form or another, and the memory of the reading experience was positive, enjoyable or in some cases, life changing.  Absolute favorites are read over and over again, and I get something new out of each reading. Another component, or appeal factor, of a favorite book is that it is part of a series than brings anticipation and excitement with each new installment.

The list of favorites was then broken down into genres, and appeal factors. Many overlapped. Writing the list made me realize that some of favorites are mash-ups, or appeal factors and genres overlap successfully. An alternate history with Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I: perfect! Yay! Feminist historical fiction with orphans and reproductive rights! Heck yeah! Reincarnation with Anne Boleyn, awesome!

Appeal Factor Reflections

The appeal of books can change based on one’s moods or current reading patterns. You can get tired of historical fiction and want something completely different. But for me there are constants in appeal factors that always apply. To reflect on these constants, I addressed the appeal factors defined by the St. Louis Public Library staff (n.d.).

Character: I enjoy reading about women who are the main characters. I seek out strong female characters, with clear ideas, strong wills, survival instincts, cleverness, humor and resilience. Marginalized women are always interesting to me. Though I enjoy anti-heroes on television shows, I rarely seek out characters who disgust or revolt in the extreme. (For example, I love Dexter on TV, but doubt I’d read the Dexter books.) I do however enjoy conflicted characters, Prince/King John in the historical fiction of Sharon Kay Penman is compelling and fascinating. So yes to Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, but no to books about serial killers.
Plot: Books that bottom out on plot disappoint. I lean neither towards action or character driven. I do like a complex satisfying plot. Sometimes historical fiction on a familiar subject can become boring because I already know how it ends, so it’s important to have fresh and interesting elements, such as Queen Elizabeth I as a detective.
Setting: Always, frequently, never, almost never, sometimes. Always the UK, frequently dystopic, almost never the Old West, never some generic fantasy world with elves or spaceships, sometimes supernatural world like our own.
Language: English. That’s the extent of my limit. Anything goes.
Genre: Just about anything, if other appeal factors are there.
Time Frame: Anytime past, present or future. Though I do enjoy historical fiction best, even if it is only fifty years in the past, it adds something to the story for me.
Pacing: Open to all pacing.
Mood: Open.
Relationships: Relationship elements are of high value to me when choosing a book. Emphasis on the connections between people are very important to my enjoyment, whether it is a friendship, romance, parent, siblings, whatever.
Ideas: Ideological and philosophical aspects are very important to me as a reader. I'd rather not expend precious spare time on an author who is known to espouse views that are in opposition to my own, in a serious way, that I consider to be oppressive, racist, hateful etc. For example I avoid Orson Scott Card because of his opposition to marriage equality. I'm not putting money in his pocket. The Left Behind books do not appeal to me. Though I love a challenge and exploring new ideas, when it comes to leisure-reading, I'm not looking for "elevation" (Saricks, 2005). That's not leisure reading. That's not fun. Gee, I'm on the beach, how about Atlas Shrugged? Not gonna happen!  
Authenticity: This factor is very important, this is why I avoid Phillipa Gregory like the plague. If a character is written against the grain, fine, but if they are completely inaccurate, unbelievable and ridiculous, what's the point?
Sexuality: I don’t give this element much thought, but do recall there was a supernatural series I enjoyed for a while until the author (Laurel K. Hamilton) started getting a bit weird for me. As in, "I'm not even sure what is happening here. And I don't want to!" Done. Consideration of this appeal factor never occurs to me when choosing a book. It is what it is, in my view. 
Violence: Depends on the violence. I once dropped a detective series due to disturbing imagery. I don’t want to read about real world violence towards anyone, especially children or women, or wait, anybody. But don’t try to take my Game of Thrones book, or there might be violence.
Profanity: Anything goes.
Length: I prefer long well written books. But I also enjoy short stories, preferably in long books.
Format: I haven't listen to an audiobook in twenty years. I don't use e-readers generally. An exception might be a hotly anticipated book that I want now. For example, I’m considering downloading Michael Wolff’s Fire and Fury.  It's possible an audiobook read by a reader with a beautiful voice, or a talent for story telling might be given a chance. Generally, the idea of an audiobook bores me. The prospect of just sitting and listening to someone read  is far too passive. I'd rather do it myself, and engage my imagination, read at my own pace, control the experience etc.
Writing Style: Anything goes. Except very very bad.

Genres List

Genres - subgenres

Fiction

Fantasy, Fairy Tales, Folk tales
Alternate Histories
Fantasy, folk tale, fairy tale based, feminist oriented
English literature classics
English literature retellings
Historical Fiction
Mystery  
Mystery-Historical fiction
Mystery-women detectives
Mystery- famous authors as detectives
Mystery- famous female authors as detectives
Science Fiction (Whimsical, humorous, never hard science fiction)
Science Fiction – Time Travel
Science Fiction – Feminist
Horror, fantasy – (Sometimes but rarely)
Humor

Westerns (Almost Never)
Exception: Lonesome Dove, Buffalo Girls -Larry McMurtry

Non-Fiction

Auto-biographies
Biographies
History

Feminist Cultural Commentary
Pop Culture

Favorites by Genre

Fantasy

The Fire and Ice Series – G.R.R.Martin
The Blue Sword – Robin McKinley
The Mists of Avalon -Marion Zimmer Bradley
Tehanu - Ursula Le Guin

Science Fiction

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency- Douglas Adams
Kindred – Octavia Butler
Parable of the Sower – Octavia Butler
Lilith's Brood - Octavia Butler
Woman on the Edge of Time – Marge Percy
(Short stories, particularly with female protagonists or time travel)

Related to fantasy, and science fiction, but neither:
Fiction: Reincarnation
Fiction: Past Lives

Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn - Nell Gavin

Women's Fiction

(Fiction about women written by women, fiction with strong female protagonists, speculative feminist science fiction)

The Color Purple – Alice Walker
The Blind Assassin – Margaret Atwood
Lady Oracle – Margaret Atwood
The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
Parable of the Sower – Octavia Butler
Lilith’s Brood – Octavia Butler
Kindred – Octavia Butler
Fingersmith – Sarah Waters
Tipping the Velvet – Sarah Waters
My Notorious Life – Kate Manning
Outlander – Diana Gabaldon
The Bluest Eye – Toni Morrison
Silver Metal Lover – Tanith Lee
The Blue Sword – Robin McKinley
Anne of Green Gables – L. M. Montgomery

Historical Fiction

(Historical fiction particularly with emphasis on British history, dynastic struggles, strong family drama, romance, tragedy, sweeping epics, Tudors, particularly Tudor women, medieval queens, ancient Rome, ancient Egypt, Victorian, super long books.)

Outlander – Diana Gabaldon
Welsh Princes Series, The Sunne in the Splendour, Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine Series –Sharon Kay Penman
Sarum – Edmund Rutherfurd
Wolf Hall – Hilary Mantel
Fingersmith – Sarah Waters
Tipping the Velvet – Sarah Waters
My Notorious Life – Kate Manning
Outlander – Diana Gabaldon
Anne of Green Gables – L. M. Montgomery
The Raj Quartet - Paul Scott
The Regeneration Trilogy - Pat Barker
Music & Silence - Rose Tremain
Through a Glass Darkly - Karleen Koen
Follow the River - James Alexander Thom
Various fiction titles, by Alison Weir, Elizabeth George, Robin Maxwell, Vanora Bennet for example.

Historical Fiction – Mysteries & Series

Marcus Didius Falco Series by Lindsey Davis
Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Series – Anne Perry
The Daughter of Time – Josephine Tey
Mistress of the Art of Death – Ariana Franklin
Justin de Quincy Series – Sharon Kay Penman
The Midwife Series - Sam Thomas

Mysteries -Historical fiction –with authors as detective

Various

Time Travel/Alternate History

11/22/63 – Stephen King
Making History – Stephen Fry
A Knight in Shining Armor- Jude Deveraux
Slaughterhouse – Five – Kurt Vonnegut
To Say Nothing of the Dog – Connie Willis
Outlander – Diana Gabaldon
The Company Series, by Kage Baker, which includes titles, such as In the Garden of Iden, Mendoza in Hollywood, and Sky Coyote.
Ruled Britannia - Henry Turtledove
Time and Time Again - Ben Elton

English Literature - Classics

Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
I, Claudius – Robert Graves
Howard’s End – E.M. Foster
A Room With a View – E.M. Forster
Jeeves and Wooster books - P. G. Wodehouse

All Things Austen

Longbourne -Jo Barker
Death Comes to Pemberley -P. D. James

Fiction About Authors

The Hours - Michael Cunningham
The Death and Life of Miguel De Cervantes - Stephen Marlowe
The Lighthouse at the End of the World- Stephen Marlowe
Anything with Austen or Bronte

Children’s/YA Fiction Classics 

Anne of Green Gables Series – L. M. Montgomery
The Blue Sword – Robin McKinley
A Wrinkle in Time - Madeline L'Engle
Alanna: The First Adventure - Tamora Pierce

History

Subjects: History: Plantagenet, Tudor, Elizabethan, Women’s, African American Women, American, Cultural, Royal women, gossipy

Divorced, Beheaded, Survived: A Feminist Reinterpretation of the Wives of Henry VIII - Karen Lindsey
The Creation of Anne Boleyn – Susan Bordo
The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn – Eric Ives
Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII - David Starkey
White Trash: The Untold Story of Class in America - Nancy Isenberg
Cleopatra: A Life - Stacy Schiff
Alexander Hamilton - Ron Chernow

Cultural Commentary

God is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens
Why I Am Not A Christian - Bertrand Russell
On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons From the Twentieth Century - Timothy Snyder
Raising Free Thinkers - McGowan, Matsumura, Metskas, Devor, Ed.
Parenting Beyond Belief - McGowan, Ed.

Feminist Theory

From Margin to Center – bell hooks
Unbearable Weight - Susan Bordo
Nickel and Dimed - Barbara Ehrenreich
My Mother's Garden- Alice Walker


To learn more about my reading habits, check out my Goodreads profile.



References

NoveList Editorial & St. Louis Public Library Staff (n.d.). The appeal of books. From the NoveList database.
Saricks, J.(2005). History and introduction. In Readers' advisory service in the public library. Chicago: ALA. pp.1-13.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading you profile. You have a very extensive selection of books. When you were talking about sexuality as an appeal you talked about how it doesn't bother you except if it gets weird and makes no sense and you talked about Laurel K Hamilton. I had the same issue with her book I think I only made it to the 5th book before I stop reading because it felt like she was just putting in as much sexual things as she could for no reason. You also couldn't just skip those part because she always seem to put an important plot point in the middle. I enjoyed her books until this point. You talked about the books you listed been one that have stuck with you but not necessarily ones you would want to read over and over again if you were stuck on a deserted island. Just out of curiosity what would be a book that you would take with you if your were stuck on a deserted island?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your extensive list of books is amazing. I am definitely going to read some of the listed women's fiction. I've been needing to read Octavia Butler's Kindred for the longest of times. A strong female character has become a set rule for me when choosing what to read next. I didn't mind for a long time about the gender of the main character, but recently I found myself unconsciously looking for that factor. I usually go for female writers in general and don't mind the gender of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Masada,
      I can't recommend Kindred enough! It's one of the life changers for me. I came across a scholarly article about how it examines, "amputated histories" of African Americans who are cut off from their past by the erasure of enslavement. It was written I think, in the late 70's early 80's, so the main character's present is our past. The story absolutely haunts me and has influenced my thinking on so many levels. When I do genealogy, I see the individual ancestor's lives sometimes through Butler's lens of how the main character's ancestor's (both white and black) lived complex lives, and changed over time. Anyway, neat! I hope you read it. Let me know what you think if you do!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, your profile is a LIFESAVER. I was just telling another student that I was nervous because I read so much older literature and was afraid I'd seem out of touch, and then I read your profile and you have GENRE LISTS. Oh, oh, oh, I'm saved, and will probably refer to your list often throughout the semester as I search for books to read.

    I've never read Hamilton, but I've shelved her books a lot and found that she had the same effect for me. However, I'm very picky about sexuality in my books: one of the reasons I love older books is because the phrase "he failed to return home that night" is considered dicey. I'm, in all honesty, a bit of a prude. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Emma Richey, I love your reply! Thanks! "He failed to return home that night"! Quelle Scandal! Never worry about being out of touch! The other day I read Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon, published in 1862 in three days. I was hooked! I highly recommend it. Its part of a genre called, "Sensation", popular in the nineteenth century.

      Delete
  4. HOLY COW! Hands down the most in depth and beautiful reading profile I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot) I love that you broke down every appeal and how it applies to your likes and dislikes. I want to go this in depth to my own now! Also your favorite books broken by genre? Genius! I 100% agree about Laurell K. Hamilton; I'm no prude but I got to about book 8 in the Anita Blake series and I was over all the interspecies orgy scenes. What happened to the plot and the badass heroine?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm worried about what happened to the author! Wait, I don't want to know! Yeah, it was years ago that series went off the rails and jumped the shark for me. Its good to know I'm not alone in that regard!

      Delete
    2. I just realized I forgot to thank you for the awesome comments! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. This was a wonderful read! Out of all the depth you went into about your reading habits there is one thing I really want to know more about! You mentioned you like to read vintage newspapers! I've never thought of doing this for any reason outside of research, but now I really want to. Is there a specific event or time period you look for? Do you collect them? I'm so curious now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the question Dustin! Well, it started as genealogy research. I was looking for a death notice in the Louisville Courier Journal from 1920. I broke down and signed up for the Newspapers.com free trial. This was a risk because I tend to sign up and forget about stuff and then six months and $60 later, it's just, whoops! I found the notice, but then I started researching about the individual more, and using the database. I found all sorts of bizarre related detail, really interesting stuff. "This is like a book", I thought! So I kept the subscription and started reading The Cincinnati Enquirer, and found a random once in a lifetime genealogy find. My great-great grandparents ended up in the paper as a "on the beat" human interest story because they couldn't afford their marriage license. Then I found this other story about a cross dressing orphan girl and I've been researching it ever since. I hope to write a novel about her. I love the bizarre stories, seeing how my old home town was a den of iniquity in the 1880s, and I'm obsessed with patent medicine ads. I highly recommend it as a past time. Find a place and time and start reading the entire year. A whole lost world opens up. You'll start saying, "Good, I'm glad that guy had to pay for his illegitimate child, I knew he did it!" Fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Suspense Annotation: Origin: A Novel, by Dan Brown

Week 12 Prompt: Nonfiction Matrix Annotation- On Tyranny by Timothy Snyder

YA Annotation: Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorofor

Special Topics Paper: Indigenous Futurisms

Book Club

Hello

Week Thirteen Prompt

Science Fiction Annotation: The Jane Austen Project by Kathleen A. Flynn