Week 3 Prompt Responses -RA Exercise




Answering Reader's Advisory Inquiries....







I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!





According to bookseriesinorder.com and Goodreads, the fourth book in the series is Lunatic Café. It was published in 1996. The fifth was published the same year and its title is The Blood Bones.







What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn’t mind something a bit faster paced though.


You might like State of Wonder, by Ann Patchett. Her writing is described as lyrical in a review of this title. Or possibly Celeste Ng’s Little Fire Everywhere. Like Prodigal Summer, the characters  are deeply connected and her writing is described as, “poised.”





I like reading books set in different countries. I           just read one set in China. Could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern, historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like 
I was there.      

      



     

I recommend The Ginger Tree by Oswald Wynd. The book follows the story of a young Scotswoman who travels to China in 1903 with her new husband, then falls in love with a Japanese military attache, and moves to Japan to have his child.    

           

Initially, she has no choice but to accept being a "kept woman", but soon she embarks on  struggle to make her own life in the rigidly insular patriarchal society. The time period spans two world wars. I'd also suggest Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. It remains a very popular title with a Japanese setting. You might also like The Earthquake Dollby Candace Williams. Its about a girl in post World War II Japan navigating the rapidly changing society. Published in 2013, its a newer title. All three are historical fiction set in Japan that vividly evoke the culture and setting. 


                                                                                                                                                                                    

     



I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy. I couldn't finish it. Do you have any suggestions?






    You might like the work of Martha Grimes. She’s an American author, but her Inspector Richard Jury series is set in England. He’s a Scotland Yard detective.  The first book in the series is The Man With a Load of Mischief. Her work is lighter and sometimes humorous, but it also delivers on the who done it murder mystery.  You might also like Deborah Crombie’s Duncan Kincaid’s series.     

                                                                     

                           




  My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?







    Max Brooks has another zombie book, The Zomebie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead. He might also like the classic, I am Legend, by Richard Matheson. Another new title that's part of a series is The First Days (As the World Dies #1) by Rhiannon Frater. If his appetite for zombie fiction is as insatiable as a zombie, he'll like a series.



   I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some. Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last five years or so. 





     You might enjoy these titles: Me Before you, The Martian and Still Alice. They are all heavy on drama and emotional high stakes. If those aren't what you are looking for, can you tell me about a title that qualifies as literary for you? That way we can narrow it down more. Do you mean a bestseller or award winning? 

Me Before You

The Martian (2012/2015)


Still Alice- Lisa Genova.

The Girl on the Train, by Paula Hawkins 


     I love thrillers but hate foul language and sex    

     scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.







     You might like the work of Mary Higgins Clark or Lisa Scottoline (titles after 2004). Mary Higgins Clark writes thrillers with very little to no profanity. If you like Christian fiction, you might also like Tim Lehae and Frank Peretti thrillers, though they also have supernatural elements. A fast paced clean read is anything by Dan    

                                                       Brown.   



How I Find Books to Read

     I'm an old fashion shelf scanner. I like to scan the shelves of new books at the library. When a title grabs my attention I pull the book, check out the cover and read the blurbs. My instincts then kick in. The latest book I found this way is Reincarnation Blues, by Michael Poore. I don't normally read horror, so for the horror annotation assignment, it took me some time to find a book I was willing to devote my leisure hours to. I discovered Slade House by David Mitchell by searching on Amazon and Goodreads for ghosts stories. I enjoy using Goodreads personally and professionally. Most of the recommendations for this assignment came from using Goodreads.



  •   




Comments

  1. Great prompt response - points deducted for lateness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a bit off the past two weeks on timing, but I'm catching up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Reading Profile

Suspense Annotation: Origin: A Novel, by Dan Brown

Week 12 Prompt: Nonfiction Matrix Annotation- On Tyranny by Timothy Snyder

YA Annotation: Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorofor

Special Topics Paper: Indigenous Futurisms

Book Club

Week Thirteen Prompt

Hello

Science Fiction Annotation: The Jane Austen Project by Kathleen A. Flynn